الأحد، 17 سبتمبر 2017

Mikan


Once, she was putting away the left overs from lunch
A tear trickled down her eye, and she turned to the other side 
So I wouldn't see
Said, "No one eats anymore
I used to cook every day..."
And I, hugging her sideways
Printed a kiss on her cheek
Somehow, of late, I've put on a lot of weight
But there were no more left overs
And my mother ceased to cry
She asks mechanically as I pack
If I'll be coming on the weekend
"Yes, momma", my equally mechanical response
"Got nothing better to do anyway"
Once, she said, as I strapped my seat belt, that I should commute 
"it will work out", she explained 
"I will wake you up for Fajr and you shall leave after breakfast
All rejuvenated and peppy
"You
Seem like you don't have breakfast. Often."

I used to run away from home
Of late I seem to never want to leave
Three hours, 250 kms
Momma talks a lot on the phone
When she calls in the mornings
I tug my cell into the crevice of my shoulder
As I struggle to type
Bruised and tense from the last session
"You have a class again today?", she stands at the door
I print another kiss and walk away
When did I start saying goodbye like I'm bidding farewell?
Wish I could recall what she says last
When her silence suddenly interrupts my thoughts
By habit; it's my time to dwell on things uncalled for
While I'm driving her around
She never waits 
"How does he look like? Add Milk to the list.
There is a Henna tomorrow, can you stay?"
Racing along the seconds
So she could say it all, and I would wait until she runs out
Of things to say
To tell her that I loved her

"Is that so?"
"Yes, Momma, I love you so."
"Add Ulker to the list."

Hey, Momma,
My friends say I never talk much, did you know ?

All these hours I was trapped in my car with someone
On the passenger seat spilling their spleens out
And I ,looking ahead into the gloom
It's the mind that spoke to fill in the quietness between their breaths 
Not for a moment did I let my heart stray
Save for this space that I hid away, from you
I learnt to never talk much that words sound meek
And fragmented when they have to scratch up my vocal cords
For a change
That I stutter 
And I find it hard to utter the passages I have practiced all night
While sleep has run off to play a game of hide and seek
Along with the things I was supposed to remember 
And the trifling visions that I wished were real 

Momma, it's because you never listened

And Momma, sometimes I feel like I was robbed of 
Being a daughter 
So I could be a mother
To you, and I had to skip my fresher years
When I didn't know how to woman ,that I got trapped
Behind the face of a child with a chest too ample for my days
And the spirits of a broken boy
And limbs too awkward and small for my whims
A heart too shy and paranoid
Quiet as a grave, some days
Melts in Bohemian Rhapsodies ,some moments
And I never disliked holding your hands while
Walking around the market at 26 years old so you wouldn't get lost
Because it was I, that wanted to hold on to what's left of what I have missed
It is I that wants to cling to earth
So I wouldn't float
And disappear

Momma,
We grew up so fast ,didn't we ?
Scattered around like frightened beads 
Driven by hunger for life and things unseen
A yearning
To get away
Still standing in motion, by the pulls
Of duty
Our umbilical cords dangling from our bellies yet.



ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق