الثلاثاء، 29 أكتوبر 2013

The Old Man And The Sea


On my way from RAK to Sharjah , the bus always passes by the bay. I would abandon all my reading or studying by which I occupy my time during such long trips and fix my eyes at the beach and its dwellers, watching this mesmerizing scenery with great delight : The clear sky, the dark greenesh-blue bay stretching along the road with thousand crystals scattered on its surface in glory, kids running around in thier trunks, little girls gathering shells, mothers unpacking picnic baskets, youngsters playing soft ball with their legs smeared in white.....It's a very warm scene, it reminds me that life is still as amazing and enjoyable as ever , that "الدنيا لسة بخير" despite all the gloom of this world.

But what I enjoy watching the most is this old man seated on a white chair facing the sea. He's always there; I would like to think he has always been there , although I don't know for how many Saturday's he has been pulling his chair to the beach and spending his afternoons in tranquility, just sitting on his chair, not moving, not talking to anyone, not appearing to have any sort of company nor heeding attention to anyone else..It almost looks like he is having a heart-to-heart conversation with the sea and the setting sun, in a language that no one else can understand.

This old man has always intrigued me, the title of Hemingway's novel "The Old Man And The Sea" jumps to my mind whenever i see him (although I've never read the book as I'm not in good terms with Mr. Hemingway's ways), but regardless,

I face a great difficulty in calming this strong urge to stop the driver, leave the bus, abandoning all my plans for that day, and just walk up to this white-haired fellow, and sit next to him on the white sand, not asking him who he was, or why he is always alone, for I don't want to interrupt his important dialogue with the blushed horizon ; I just want to see what he sees.
I need to sketch this scenery and post it here so whoever is reading this can understand the depth and beauty of the sight of this solitary creature finding company and consolation where nobody else can find.


ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق